World Domination Summit: What to Know Before You Go
As the excitement builds for World Domination Summit, or WDS for shorthand, there are a few things you need to know if you are a WDS newbie.
WDS, which takes place in Portland July 6-8, 2012, is the progeny of my friend Chris Guillebeau’s fertile mind. Wildly successful last year, this is the sophomore year for WDS. This year WDS will double in size setting loose 1,000 official attendees, and likely many more who come to hang out, on downtown Portland, Oregon.
This gathering of iconoclasts, outsiders, creatives, travelers, and new economy solopreneurs is inspiring and a helluva lot of fun.
So what do you need to know? Several things, especially if you are prone to overload and overwhelm. For those of you who dig big crowds and non-stop meet and greet and watching indy online entrepreneur and creative superstars in the wild, then carry on. You’ll be just fine.
But, if you are susceptible to freaking out around so damn many people, then this post is for you.
Following are a few of the pitfalls that you may experience if you are a highly sensitive person (my unscientific guesstimate puts about 87.4% of WDSers in this group):
- You will be overwhelmed. Seriously, you will. Don’t try to do everything. You won’t remember everything you hear, learn, or see. That’s ok. Go outside, sit in the park—it’s across the street from the venue—and listen to the birds. Breathe.
- You will want to meet everyone on your list, but you won’t (unless your list has just four people on it). Plus, it would be too exhausting to do so, anyway. The superstars have queues of people waiting to meet them. Introduce yourself to someone who doesn’t have a line, someone who isn’t well-known. Pace yourself and enjoy those whom you do meet; this isn’t a race.
- You will overindulge. There will be parties. Many parties. You will eat and drink. Oh, and you will drink (did I mention that?), so, if you do indulge, go easy.
- You will miss something. Someone will tell you about a great speaker or life-changing workshop. The one that you decided to skip to engage in deep self-care (also known as a nap). Don’t worry about it. You are missing out on things all over the planet. Big deal.
- You’ll struggle with comparison-itis. You will be sure that everyone else is living a remarkable life, that your life is the only small life in the room. Stop it. Don’t fall into that trap. It isn’t true. Being remarkable is on a continuum and it can be measured in many ways. Make your own measure. Create your own amazing.
Most of all enjoy the spectacle that is WDS. Meet new people, fall in love with Portland, and be prepared to be inspired. Remember, World Domination doesn’t cease just because the Summit ends.
Oh, and don’t forget to say hello to me when you are there—I promise my line will be short!